Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Daddy got to hold him

Originally written Apr 17, 2012 10:47pm

Ryland and his daddy spent some quality time together today, while Robin came to my house to shower and rest for a bit.  Michael got to hold him for seven hours and fed him twice.

That's right, the little guy got to eat 10ml at a time today, and he ate four different times.  Oma Kay even fed him once. 

They did a suck test on Ryland today, which he didn't too well on, BUT after that he sucked down an entire bottle.

Overall, he looked so much better today.  He looked like the baby I left at home after Easter weekend.

Which leads me to something I wanted to mention.  I am not a person who typically talks openly about my faith.  It is something that is very personal and that I hold closely to myself.  However, I often watch others and have witnessed all of you in the last few days extend your words of faith and power of prayer to my family, and you all seem so trusting of a greater power. 

So, I wanted to share this story ... today I attended the funeral of my 49 year old secretary and friend who passed away from liver cancer Friday evening.  As I was sitting in her service, we sang the hymn Because He Lives.  I was reminded that we also sang that hymn two weeks ago in our Easter Sunday Service, Ryland's first day at church and what should have been his due date if they had not induced. 

I have come to learn that while I am not very vocal about my faith, I feel it most during song and music.I don't think it's a coincidence that this song showed up at twice during the last two weeks of my life, as one life began and one life ended.

The words of this particular song seem so fitting:

How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives.
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

So I guess sometimes even if you can't say it for yourself, a song says it perfectly.

Thankful for your support and thankful Ryland has had another good day.

~Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment